In-app purchases: Share user In-App purchases between Android and iOS

Viewed 4834

I'm planning to add In-App purchases to my Productivity app. Enhanced features are purchase products (e.g., freemium). I would like to have user access to purchased feature on both Android and iOS, if he has purchased on any one platform. Technically I plan to store purchase information on server and have it retrieved whenever user logs-in on either device, and unlock the feature if already purchased.

Is this allowed in both iOS and Android?

Apple App Store Review Guidelines on Section 11 have this explained.
Points "11.1/11.2" and "11.14" sounds conflicting (or I'm missing something.).

On Android, I do not see this point mentioning in Policies.

If you had any experiences (w.r.t sharing purchase info between devices) that I should take care additionally, any suggestions are welcome.

3 Answers

[Update for April 2019]

As I've already answer here - from developer Apple guidelines:

3.1.3(b) Multiplatform Services: Apps that operate across multiple platforms may allow users to access content, subscriptions, or features they have acquired elsewhere, including consumable items in multi-platform games, provided those items are also available as in-app purchases within the app. You must not directly or indirectly target iOS users to use a purchasing method other than in-app purchase, and your general communications about other purchasing methods must not discourage use of in-app purchase.

So like @siddharth-gupta explain in his answer:

Apple's rule basically states that if you have a digital product in your app (in your case, your subscription), the only way to pay for it should be via Apple's in-app purchases. If instead of using in-app purchases, you redirect the user to pay using any other method, your app risks getting rejected.

Note: this Apple statement for April 2019 -> and can always change. To avoid potential rejection/ban Always verify it with current official Apple Documentation

Related