How to avoid being overwhelmed by the amount of frameworks and new versions of JavaScript?

Viewed 756

First I learned HTML, CSS, JavaScript (es5, I believe I have a firm understanding of the foundation, like event loop, hoisting, closure, binding etc), then jQuery, PHP.

Then I started using frameworks. Built some pages with ReactJS (really liked the the uni-direction and dividing everything into components structure), built a restful API with Slim.

Then I realize ES6 has been out for a while now, and now I should covert all my React code to that. I also find out about requireJS, and Flux (design pattern), redux (but I need NodeJS to even get started). And a lot of other frameworks.

I'm just so overwhelmed by all of these, I don't know where to start or what to use, for example:

  • should I be using requireJS or just learn ES6 import/export or should I be using nodeJS? Sometimes it is tough to even understand example from Git, their files are all over different folders.
  • what other framework should I learn, AngularJS, backboneJS?

I have a Computer Science degree and just want to get into a junior web developer position, and I need a job. But I feel like new frameworks keep on coming, by the time I catch up, new ones will come out, how am I ever going to get into the field?

I'm in despair, will someone with knowledge please give me some direction? I really need advice and have no idea who or where to ask beside here.

1 Answers
Related