Retrofit2 Android: Expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 1 column 2 path $

Viewed 125075

I know this is not the first time someone asking about this problem but with Retrofit2 I can't find the right solution to my problem. I followed a online tutorial and it worked just fine. When I applied same code to my own endpoint i get this exception: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Expected BEGIN_ARRAY but was BEGIN_OBJECT at line 1 column 2 path $ I don't know how to solve this.

Interface:

public interface MyApiService {

// Is this right place to add these headers?
@Headers({"application-id: MY-APPLICATION-ID",
        "secret-key: MY-SECRET-KEY",
        "application-type: REST"})
@GET("Music")
Call<List<Music>> getMusicList();



Retrofit retrofit = new Retrofit.Builder()
        .baseUrl(MySettings.REST_END_POINT)
        .addConverterFactory(GsonConverterFactory.create())
        .build();
}

Client code:

MyApiService service = MyApiService.retrofit.create(MyApiService.class);
Call<List<Music>> call = service.getMusicList();
call.enqueue(new Callback<List<Music>>() {

    @Override
    public void onResponse(Call<List<Music>> call, Response<List<Music>> response) {
        Log.e("MainActivity", response.body().
    }

    @Override
    public void onFailure(Call<List<Music>> call, Throwable t) {
        Log.e("MainActivity", t.toString());
    }
});

This code working with this payload:

[
{
    "login": "JakeWharton",
    "id": 66577,
    "avatar_url": "https://avatars.githubusercontent.com/u/66577?v=3",
    "gravatar_id": "",
    "url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton",
    "html_url": "https://github.com/JakeWharton",
    "followers_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/followers",
    "following_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/following{/other_user}",
    "gists_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/gists{/gist_id}",
    "starred_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/starred{/owner}{/repo}",
    "subscriptions_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/subscriptions",
    "organizations_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/orgs",
    "repos_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/repos",
    "events_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/events{/privacy}",
    "received_events_url": "https://api.github.com/users/JakeWharton/received_events",
    "type": "User",
    "site_admin": false,
    "contributions": 741
},
{....

but not with this one:

{
"offset": 0,
"data": [
    {
        "filename": "E743_1458662837071.mp3",
        "created": 1458662854000,
        "publicUrl": "https://api.backendless.com/dbb77803-1ab8-b994-ffd8-65470fa62b00/v1/files/music/E743_1458662837071.mp3",
        "___class": "Music",
        "description": "",
        "likeCount": 0,
        "title": "hej Susanne. ",
        "ownerId": "E743756F-E114-6892-FFE9-BCC8C072E800",
        "updated": null,
        "objectId": "DDD8CB3D-ED66-0D6F-FFA5-B14543ABC800",
        "__meta": "{\"relationRemovalIds\":{},\"selectedProperties\":[\"filename\",\"created\",\"publicUrl\",\"___class\",\"description\",\"likeCount\",\"title\",\"ownerId\",\"updated\",\"objectId\"],\"relatedObjects\":{}}"
    },
    {...

My Music class:

public class Music {

   private String ownerId;
   private String filename;
   private String title;
   private String description;
   private String publicUrl;
   private int likeCount;

   // Getters & Setters

}
3 Answers

I had this problem. It's because the payload is an object instead of an array of objects. So I removed List.

Code Example

UserAPI.java

public interface UserAPI {
    @GET("login/cellphone")
    Call<LoginResponse> login(@Query("phone") String phone, 
                              @Query("password") String password);
}

Call code

Retrofit retrofit = new Retrofit
        .Builder()
        .addConverterFactory(GsonConverterFactory.create())
        .baseUrl(Constant.CLOUD_MUSIC_API_BASE_URL)
        .build();

UserAPI userAPI = retrofit.create(UserAPI.class);

userAPI.login(phone, password).enqueue(new Callback<LoginResponse>() {
    @Override
    public void onResponse(Call<LoginResponse> call, Response<LoginResponse> response) {
        System.out.println("onResponse");
        System.out.println(response.body().toString());
    }

    @Override
    public void onFailure(Call<LoginResponse> call, Throwable t) {
        System.out.println("onFailure");
        System.out.println(t.fillInStackTrace());
    }
});

enter image description here

In my case the issue was about my return type of this function was wrong I was returning retrofit2.Call<List<GamesModel>> this error means that GSON was expecting an array to come back from your server.

I just remove the List and now it's working fine

Related