Trying to run Kotlin script in IntelliJ IDEA

Viewed 10559

I am learning Kotlin by doing Kotlin Koans int IntelliJ EduKotlin plugin (https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/8186). While doing tasks and running them im this plugin is working, I am not able to create new Kotlin script and run it without this plugin.

Sample code in a file named Hello.kt:

fun hello() : String {
    return "ok"
}

Then I create new run configuration derived from 'Kotlin script', set 'Working directory' to ProjectName/src folder (or ProjectName folder, same result) and IDE shows me a 'Could not find script file: Hello.kt' warning as in the screen below:

enter image description here

And indeed, while trying to run script I got following stacktrace:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_74\bin\java" -Dfile.encoding=windows-1250 -classpath C:\Users\myUser\.IdeaIC2016\config\plugins\Kotlin\kotlinc\lib\kotlin-compiler.jar;C:\Users\myUser\.IdeaIC2016\config\plugins\Kotlin\kotlinc\lib\kotlin-reflect.jar;C:\Users\myUser\.IdeaIC2016\config\plugins\Kotlin\kotlinc\lib\kotlin-runtime.jar org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.K2JVMCompiler -script Hello.kt
exception: java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to evaluate script: kotlin.KotlinNullPointerException
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.compiler.KotlinToJVMBytecodeCompiler.compileScript(KotlinToJVMBytecodeCompiler.kt:263)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.compiler.KotlinToJVMBytecodeCompiler.compileAndExecuteScript(KotlinToJVMBytecodeCompiler.kt:212)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.K2JVMCompiler.doExecute(K2JVMCompiler.kt:181)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.K2JVMCompiler.doExecute(K2JVMCompiler.kt:49)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.common.CLICompiler.exec(CLICompiler.java:181)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.common.CLICompiler.exec(CLICompiler.java:138)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.common.CLICompiler.exec(CLICompiler.java:57)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.common.CLICompiler.doMainNoExit(CLICompiler.java:248)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.common.CLICompiler.doMain(CLICompiler.java:238)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.K2JVMCompiler$Companion.main(K2JVMCompiler.kt:248)
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.K2JVMCompiler.main(K2JVMCompiler.kt)
Caused by: kotlin.KotlinNullPointerException
at org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.compiler.KotlinToJVMBytecodeCompiler.compileScript(KotlinToJVMBytecodeCompiler.kt:475)
... 10 more


Process finished with exit code 2

What more, the hello method is marked as never used. However, when I change file extension from .kt to .ktscript, then this method is marked as used, and the output from running code is following:

"C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_74\bin\java" -Dfile.encoding=windows-1250 -classpath C:\Users\myUser\.IdeaIC2016\config\plugins\Kotlin\kotlinc\lib\kotlin-compiler.jar;C:\Users\myUser\.IdeaIC2016\config\plugins\Kotlin\kotlinc\lib\kotlin-reflect.jar;C:\Users\myUser\.IdeaIC2016\config\plugins\Kotlin\kotlinc\lib\kotlin-runtime.jar org.jetbrains.kotlin.cli.jvm.K2JVMCompiler -script Hello.kt

error: source file or directory not found: Hello.kt

Process finished with exit code 1

So my question is: what am I missing when trying to create and run Kotlin code in a standalone Kotlin script in IntelliJ?

1 Answers
Related