Run a Swift 2.0 app forever in background to update location to server

Viewed 9451

I have written the below code that has a timer that calls a callback function every minute. When the app goes to the background I have started another timer that calls the same callback method, but the background timer works for only three minutes.

I understand that Apple allows background tasks for only three minutes. My app is more like a tracking app that tracks the location of the user every minute even when the app is in background, so I need to implement this functionality.

I learned that beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler is to be used but I don't know whether my implementation is correct.

Note: I have Required background modes in plist toApp registers for location updates.

Any working code or links are much appreciated.

override func viewDidLoad() {
    super.viewDidLoad()

    timeInMinutes = 1 * 60

    self.locationManager.requestAlwaysAuthorization()

    self.locationManager.requestWhenInUseAuthorization()

    if CLLocationManager.locationServicesEnabled() {
        locationManager.delegate = self
        locationManager.desiredAccuracy = kCLLocationAccuracyNearestTenMeters
        locationManager.startUpdatingLocation()
    }

    var timer = NSTimer.scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval( timeInMinutes, target: self, selector: "updateLocation", userInfo: nil, repeats: true)
}

func locationManager(manager: CLLocationManager, didUpdateLocations locations: [CLLocation]){
    let locValue:CLLocationCoordinate2D = manager.location!.coordinate

    self.latitude = locValue.latitude
    self.longitude = locValue.longitude

    if UIApplication.sharedApplication().applicationState == .Active {

    } else {
        backgroundTaskIdentifier = UIApplication.sharedApplication().beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler({ () -> Void in
            self.backgroundTimer.invalidate()
            self.backgroundTimer = NSTimer.scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval( 60.0, target: self, selector: "updateLocation", userInfo: nil, repeats: true)
        })
    }
}

func updateLocation() {
    txtlocationLabel.text = String(n)
    self.n = self.n+1

    var timeRemaining = UIApplication.sharedApplication().backgroundTimeRemaining

    print(timeRemaining)

    if timeRemaining > 60.0 {
        self.GeoLogLocation(self.latitude,Longitude: self.longitude) {
            results in
            print("View Controller: \(results)")
            self.CheckResult(String(results))
        }
    } else {
        if timeRemaining == 0 {
            UIApplication.sharedApplication().endBackgroundTask(backgroundTaskIdentifier)
        }

        backgroundTaskIdentifier2 = UIApplication.sharedApplication().beginBackgroundTaskWithExpirationHandler({ () -> Void in
            self.backgroundTimer.invalidate()
            self.backgroundTimer = NSTimer.scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval( 60.0, target: self, selector: "updateLocation", userInfo: nil, repeats: true)
        })
    }
}
2 Answers
Related