cannot open manage.py after installing django

Viewed 55128

I have a problem in setting up django.

My situation: I have Anaconda Python 2.7 in my Windows 8 computer. On the Anaconda command prompt window, I type: pip install django. This is successful.

Then I create a folder named "newproject". On the command prompt I went to the folder "newproject". Then django-admin.py startproject newproject. This is successful.

Then I run python manage.py runserver. It tells me

"...can't open file 'manage.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory"

I checked out udemy django installation guide and other guides on the net. I have even set up a virtual environment. But the main problem is always: can't open file 'manage.py'

13 Answers

you need to change your directory to the directory of the project.

  1. open your environment by typing activate environment_name
  2. change the directory to the folder in which you want to create the project by cd Folder_Name
  3. then create your project by django-admin startproject Project_Name
  4. then change the directory to your project folder
  5. if you also want to create an app then typepython manage.py startapp App_name
  6. to confirm if it works type python manage.py runserver, then you should get a link in the terminal. copy and paste that link in the browser and you should see a successful page.

You need to include a . after you create the project.

Eg: django-admin.py startproject newproject .

This will allow you to run python manage.py runserver from where you are.

That can happen because manage.py doesn't have permissions. Check the existence of manage.py throughout newproject, If exist you can fix it with:

$cd newproject
$chmod +x manage.py

Finally, try to execute python manage.py runserver

I was having the same problem, when Windows 10 changed credentials, Docker lost the access to drives. The fix for this issue, I reset the credentials in docker-desktop > shared Drives > reset credentials at bottom.

can't open file 'manage.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory"

here is the solution

step 1: command -> django-admin startproject project_name

step 2: command -> cd project_name

step 3: command -> python manage.py startapp app_name

try it may fix your problem

You should navigate to the inner directory where your manage.py resides. For example: If you have created projectname as Django-admin startproject loginapp

Step 1: Go to loginapp
Step 2: Click on it
Step 3: You will find another loginapp and manage.py folder inside that
Step 4: Use this rootpath commandprompt
Step 5: Enter py manage.py runserver
Now it will work

I ran into the same error seller. But this is what I discovered

1: open your terminal in your project environment

2: install Django using: pip install django (if you are on windows)

3: then create your Django project using : django-admin startproject newproject . (django-admin start-project followed by project name give a space and add period (.) ) So it goes like this

django-admin startproject new project .

The period/fullstop (.) At the end tells djando the area in which the file should be created which is inside the project file its self you are working on. After this is done you are free to go. You can now run your server and enjoy

Run server using: python manage.py runserver

Make sure to put a period at the end of your command e.g Django-admin startproject new project .

The period at the end (.) will solve the problem

There could be invalid interpreter selected .Try selecting the proper interpreter

Related