How to make a live audio streaming website?

Viewed 9201

I've been wanting to make a live audio streaming service, sort of like twitch. Now before you say this is too difficult and should just use a service that's already out there, I would really like to know the nitty-gritty of how to actually do this from the ground up. I've done some research, but the results I've found have been very vague, or directed me to something like Wowza. I've seen some stuff about HTTP Live Streaming and I think I understand the general idea: a microphone/camera sends its feed to an encoder, the encoder sends the feed in m3u8 format to the server, and people stream the m3u8 file from the server to their device. But how do I actually go about doing this? What is the actual programming behind this? Is it necessary to use a service like Wowza or Red5?

1 Answers
Related