Django form not saving with ModelChoiceField - ForeignKey

Viewed 2812

I have multiple forms on my site that work and save info to my PostgreSQL database. I am trying to create a form to save information for my Set Model:

class Set(models.Model):
    settitle = models.CharField("Title", max_length=50)
    setdescrip = models.CharField("Description", max_length=50)
    action = models.ForeignKey(Action)
    actorder = models.IntegerField("Order number")

The Set Form looks like this. I am using ModelChoiceField to pull a list of Action name fields from the Action model, this displays on the form as a select dropdown

class SetForm(ModelForm):

    class Meta:
        model = Set
        fields = ['settitle', 'setdescrip', 'action', 'actorder']
    action = forms.ModelChoiceField(queryset = Action.objects.values_list('name', flat=True), to_field_name="id")

The view for createset is below:

def createset(request):
    if not request.user.is_authenticated():
        return redirect('%s?next=%s' % (settings.LOGIN_URL, request.path))
    elif request.method == "GET":
        #create the object - Setform 
        form = SetForm;
        #pass into it 
        return render(request,'app/createForm.html', { 'form':form })
    elif "cancel" in request.POST:
        return HttpResponseRedirect('/actions')
    elif request.method == "POST":
    # take all of the user data entered to create a new set instance in the table
        form = SetForm(request.POST, request.FILES)
        if  form.is_valid():
            form.save()
            return HttpResponseRedirect('/actions')
        else:
            form = SetForm()
            return render(request,'app/createForm.html', {'form':form})

When the form is filled in and valid and Save is pressed, nothing happens. No errors, the page just refreshes to a new form. If I don't set the action field in forms.py using (action = forms.ModelChoiceField(queryset = Action.objects.values_list('name', flat=True), to_field_name="id")) then the data saves, so that is likely where I am doing something wrong. Just not sure what?

1 Answers
Related