Client-Side v/s Server-Side image compression

Viewed 5781

I am working on something where users can upload pictures(size of image is not limited). Now I have two options either compressing the image using PHP(Server side) or compressing the image on client's machine using JavaScript and then uploading it to the server. I wanted to ask which approach out of the two would be better to implement? Compression on server might lead to heavy load on the server so I thought of client side compression however if I upload an image of bigger size (lets assume 12MB or so) then browser freezes up for a while due to the script.

There is as such no code just a theoretical question. Currently I am using J-I-C for client side compression

Any other good library for client side image compression? and which approach would be better? Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Answers
Related