How to add elements to a List in python?

Viewed 42357

I'm working on this task in python, but I'm not sure if I'm adding the elements to a list the right way. So basically I'm suppose to create a create_list function the takes the size of the list and prompt the user for that many values and store each value into the list. The create_list function should return this newly created list. Finally the main() function should prompt the user for the number of values to be entered, pass that value to the create_list function to set up the list, and then call the get_total function to print the total of the list. Please tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong. Thank you so much in advance.

def main():
    # create a list
    myList = []

    number_of_values = input('Please enter number of values: ')

    # Display the total of the list  elements.
    print('the list is: ', create_list(number_of_values))
    print('the total is ', get_total(myList))

    # The get_total function accepts a list as an
    # argument returns the total sum of the values in
    # the list

def get_total(value_list):

    total = 0

    # calculate the total of the list elements
    for num in value_list:
        total += num

    #Return the total.
    return total

def create_list(number_of_values):

    myList = []
    for num in range(number_of_values):
        num = input('Please enter number: ')
        myList.append(num)

    return myList

main()
7 Answers

Adding an element to an existing list in python is trivial. Assume who have a list names list1

>>> list1 = ["one" , "two"]

>>> list1 = list1 + "three"

this last command will add the element "three" to the list. This is really simple, because lists are objects in python. When you print list1 you get:

["one" , "two" , "three"]

Done

Related