How to convert column to vector type?

Viewed 6690

I have an RDD in Spark where the objects are based on a case class:

ExampleCaseClass(user: User, stuff: Stuff)

I want to use Spark's ML pipeline, so I convert this to a Spark data frame. As part of the pipeline, I want to transform one of the columns into a column whose entries are vectors. Since I want the length of that vector to vary with the model, it should be built into the pipeline as part of the feature transformation.

So I attempted to define a Transformer as follows:

class MyTransformer extends Transformer {

  val uid = ""
  val num: IntParam = new IntParam(this, "", "")

  def setNum(value: Int): this.type = set(num, value)
  setDefault(num -> 50)

  def transform(df: DataFrame): DataFrame = {
    ...
  }

  def transformSchema(schema: StructType): StructType = {
    val inputFields = schema.fields
    StructType(inputFields :+ StructField("colName", ???, true))
  }

  def copy (extra: ParamMap): Transformer = defaultCopy(extra)

}

How do I specify the DataType of the resulting field (i.e. fill in the ???)? It will be a Vector of some simple class (Boolean, Int, Double, etc). It seems VectorUDT might have worked, but that's private to Spark. Since any RDD can be converted to a DataFrame, any case class can be converted to a custom DataType. However I can't figure out how to manually do this conversion, otherwise I could apply it to some simple case class wrapping the vector.

Furthermore, if I specify a vector type for the column, will VectorAssembler correctly process the vector into separate features when I go to fit the model?

Still new to Spark and especially to the ML Pipeline, so appreciate any advice.

2 Answers
Related