Apply a function to a List of dataframes in R

Viewed 459

I need help in how to manage lists in an iterative way.

I have the following list list which is composed of several dataframes with same columns, but different number of rows. Example:

[[1]]
  id InpatientDays ERVisits OfficeVisits Narcotics
1  a             0        0           18         1
2  b             1        1            6         1
3  c             0        0            5         3
4  d             0        1           19         0
5  e             8        2           19         3
6  f             2        0            9         2

[[2]]
    id InpatientDays ERVisits OfficeVisits Narcotics
7   a            16        1            8         1
8   b             2        0            8         0
9   c             2        1            4         3
10  d             4        2            0         2
11  e             6        5           20         2
12  a             0        0            7         4

I would like to apply a function to get all the possible combinations for the id for each "data frame" in the list.

I intended to try something like this lapply(list1, function(x) combn(unique(list1[x]$id))) Which of course does not work.. expecting to get something like:

[[1]]  
    [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6] [,7] [,8] [,9] [,10] [,11] [,12] [,13] [,14] [,15]
[1,] "a"  "a"  "a"  "a"  "a"  "b"  "b"  "b"  "b"  "c"   "c"   "c"   "d"   "d"   "e"  
[2,] "b"  "c"  "d"  "e"  "f"  "c"  "d"  "e"  "f"  "d"   "e"   "f"   "e"   "f"   "f"  

[[2]] 
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5] [,6] [,7] [,8] [,9] [,10]
[1,] "a"  "a"  "a"  "a"  "b"  "b"  "b"  "c"  "c"  "d"  
[2,] "b"  "c"  "d"  "e"  "c"  "d"  "e"  "d"  "e"  "e" 

Is this possible? I know for sure this works for a single dataframe df

  combn(unique(df$id),2) 
1 Answers
Related