Webpack: how to make angular auto-detect jQuery and use it as angular.element instead of jqLite?

Viewed 14077

I'm using Webpack to build an Angular 1.4 project. The project makes use of several jQuery plugins, which are wrapped into angular directives. Those directives internally use angular.element, probably implying that angular.element is the real jQuery, not jqLite.

I want angular to auto-detect jQuery and use it instead of jqLite. I tried to require jquery locally in my entry point module app.js: require('jquery') and to expose jQuery globally with require(expose?$!expose?jQuery!jquery).

Still, whatever I do, angular.element refers to jqLite.


My research resulted in several findings:

  1. Even when imported as a CommonJS module, Angular assigns itself to a global variable window.angular, so I don't need to expose it with Webpack: Does Angular assign itself to `window.angular` globally, when loaded as CommonJS module?.
  2. ProviderPlugin doesn't seem to do the trick: it doesn't expose jQuery to global namespace; instead, for every module that depends on global name jQuery, it inserts require('jquery') in it. I'm not 100% sure, but looks like Angular doesn't access jQuery from global namespace directly, instead, it tries to access window.jQuery in bindJQuery function, so this approach doesn't help: Expose jQuery to real Window object with Webpack.
  3. For the same reason as ProviderPlugin, imports-loader seems unfit: Angular wants window.jQuery, not just jQuery.
  4. With expose-loader, jquery makes it to the window object. My problem was that Babel hoists all of its imports to the top of module in the resulting code. Hence, although require(expose?jquery!jquery) was before import angular from "angular" in source files, in bundle require("angular") is at the top of the file, before jquery, so by the time Angular is imported, jquery is not yet available. I wonder, how to use Webpack loaders with ECMA6 import syntax.
  5. There was a suggestion to use import syntax instead of require syntax with jquery: import "jquery" or import $ from "jquery", not require(jquery): (Petr Averyanov: How to use Webpack loaders syntax ( imports/exports/expose) with ECMAScript 6 imports?). jquery source code is wrapped with a special wrapper, which idenitifies how jquery is required (with AMD/require, CommonJS or globally with <script> statement). Based on that it sets a special argument noGlobal for jquery fabric and either creates window.jQuery or not, based on the value of noGlobal. As of jquery 2.2.4, upon import "jquery" noGlobal === true and window.jQuery is not created. IIRC, some older versions of jquery didn't recognize import as CommonJS import and added imported jquery to global namespace, which allowed angular to use it.

Details: here's my app.js:

'use strict';

require("expose?$!expose?jQuery!jquery");
require("metisMenu/dist/metisMenu");
require("expose?_!lodash");
require("expose?angular!angular");

import angular from "angular";
import "angular-animate";
import "angular-messages";
import "angular-resource";
import "angular-sanitize";
import "angular-ui-router";
import "bootstrap/dist/css/bootstrap.css";
import "font-awesome/css/font-awesome.css";
import "angular-bootstrap";

require("../assets/styles/style.scss");
require("../assets/fonts/pe-icon-7-stroke/css/pe-icon-7-stroke.css");

// Import all html files to put them in $templateCache
// If you need to use lazy loading, you will probably need
// to remove these two lines and explicitly require htmls
const templates = require.context(__dirname, true, /\.html$/);
templates.keys().forEach(templates);

import HomeModule from "home/home.module";
import UniverseDirectives from "../components/directives";

angular.module("Universe", [
    "ngAnimate",
    "ngMessages",
    "ngResource",
    "ngSanitize",
    "ui.router",
    "ui.bootstrap",

    HomeModule.name,
    UniverseDirectives.name,
])
.config(function($urlRouterProvider, $locationProvider, $stateProvider){
    // $urlRouterProvider.otherwise('/');

    // $locationProvider.html5Mode(true);

    $stateProvider
      .state('test', {
        url: "/test",
        template: "This is a test"
      });
});
5 Answers

There is this japanese article I want to use the jQuery not jQLite in webpack + AngularJS that seems to talk about the same problem (I don't know Japanese yet btw). I used google to translate to english, credits goes to cither for this nice answer.

He provides four ways to solve this:

  1. Assign directly to the window (not really cool)

    window.jQuery = require('jquery');
    var angular = require('angular');
    console.log(angular.element('body'));
    //[body, prevObject: jQuery.fn.init[1], context: document, selector: "body"]
    
  2. Use the expose-loader (ok, but not that cool)

    npm install --saveDev expose-loader
    

    webpack.config.js

    module.exports = {
        entry: "./index",
        output: {
            path: __dirname,
            filename: "bundle.js"
        },
        module: {
            loaders: [{
                test: /\/jquery.js$/,
                loader: "expose?jQuery"
            }]
        }
    };
    

    usage:

    require('jquery');
    var angular = require('angular');
    console.log(angular.element('body'));
    //[body, prevObject: jQuery.fn.init[1], context: document, selector: "body"]
    
  3. Use expose-loader (better)

    npm install --saveDev expose-loader
    

    webpack.config.js

        module.exports = {
        entry: "./index",
        output: {
            path: __dirname,
            filename: "bundle.js"
        },
        module: {
            loaders: [{
                test: /\/angular\.js$/,
                loader: "imports?jQuery=jquery"
            }, {
                test: /\/jquery.js$/,
                loader: "expose?jQuery"
            }]
        }
    };
    

    usage:

    var angular = require('angular');
    console.log(angular.element('body'));
    //[body, prevObject: jQuery.fn.init[1], context: document, selector: "body"]
    
  4. Use ProvidePlugin (Best solution)

    This is actually the same as studds's accepted answer here

    module.exports = {
        entry: "./index",
        output: {
            path: __dirname,
            filename: "bundle.js"
        },
        plugins: [
            new webpack.ProvidePlugin({
                "window.jQuery": "jquery"
            })
        ],
    };
    

    usage:

    var angular = require('angular');
    console.log(angular.element('body'));
    //[body, prevObject: jQuery.fn.init[1], context: document, selector: "body"]
    

I thought I'd share this here since we had the exact same problem. We used the expose-loader solution in our project with success. I suppose that the ProvidePlugin which injects jquery directly in window is also a good idea.

Related