How do I create an applicative instance for ziplist?

Viewed 315

I want to implement an instance of Applicative for my custom list.

import Test.QuickCheck
import Test.QuickCheck.Checkers
import Test.QuickCheck.Classes


data List a =
  Nil
  | Cons a (List a)
  deriving (Eq, Show)

instance Eq a => EqProp (List a) where (=-=) = eq

instance Functor List where
  fmap _ Nil = Nil
  fmap f (Cons a Nil) = (Cons (f a) Nil)
  fmap f (Cons a as) = (Cons (f a) (fmap f as))

main = do
  let trigger = undefined :: List (Int, String, Int)
  quickBatch $ applicative trigger


instance Arbitrary a => Arbitrary (List a)  where
  arbitrary = sized go
    where go 0 = pure Nil
          go n = do
            xs <- go (n - 1)
            x  <- arbitrary
            return (Cons x xs)

instance Applicative List where
  pure x = (Cons x Nil)
  Nil <*> _ = Nil
  _ <*> Nil = Nil
 (Cons f fs) <*> (Cons a as) = (Cons (f a) (fs <*> as))

This gives the following bugs:

λ> main
applicative:
  identity:     *** Failed! Falsifiable (after 3 tests): 
Cons 0 (Cons (-1) Nil)
  composition:  *** Failed! Falsifiable (after 3 tests): 
Cons <function> (Cons <function> Nil)
Cons <function> (Cons <function> Nil)
Cons 1 (Cons (-2) Nil)
  homomorphism: +++ OK, passed 500 tests.
  interchange:  +++ OK, passed 500 tests.
  functor:      *** Failed! Falsifiable (after 3 tests): 
<function>
Cons (-2) (Cons (-1) Nil)

First is the id law is failing:

λ> Cons id Nil <*> Cons 0 (Cons (-1) Nil)
Cons 0 Nil

How do I fix this? pure takes an a not a List a so I do not see how to match on List and preserve the nested list structure.

The composition law also fails which is not strange:

λ> (Cons "b" Nil) <*> (Cons "c" Nil)

<interactive>:295:7:
    Couldn't match expected type ‘[Char] -> b’
                with actual type ‘[Char]’
    Relevant bindings include
      it :: List b (bound at <interactive>:295:1)
    In the first argument of ‘Cons’, namely ‘"b"’
    In the first argument of ‘(<*>)’, namely ‘(Cons "b" Nil)’
    In the expression: (Cons "b" Nil) <*> (Cons "c" Nil)

Edit: since I got great answers implementing applicative for ziplists, I have changed the question to be about ziplists.

2 Answers
Related