I've not been able to locate any instructions on how to access a USB device from Docker in Windows, exactly, although the instructions here, despite being from Mac OS X, come pretty close.
So I'm trying this on Windows, and here's what I've done so far:
- Upgraded Oracle VirtualBox to 5.0.16, and installed the Oracle VM VirtualBox Extensions Pack, which allows the boot2docker VM the ability to use USB 2.0 to access my device.
- Powered off the
defaultvirtual machine, and went to Machine → Settings… → USB. Added new USB filter, by selecting the machine from the pop-up list. - Restarted the Docker Quickstart Terminal.
The thing is, I suspect that the command for running the virtual machine instance is something as follows:
docker run --privileged -v <USB directory in host machine>:<USB directory in Docker container> ...
The problem is, while in Mac OS X it appears to be /dev/bus/usb, where does it appear in Windows? Isn't it the same place? The /dev/ directory doesn't appear to have /dev/usb/.
Have I missed a step? Is the USB device path in a different place for Windows?
By the way, this is the version of Docker that I'm using when I type docker -v:
Docker version 1.10.0, build 590d5108
I'm also currently using Windows 7.