Word cloud in R with two separate values

Viewed 2268

As someone new to R, I am working at producing a word cloud that shows two variables: frequency and rating. Using a generic table, I am looking to display the hypothetical number of colleges (font = big to small in number) by state and the hypothetical average college rating

  • 1 = green (good),
  • 3 = yellow (average),
  • 5 = red (bad)

I am able to to create this cloud that depicts fonts = number of colleges, but cannot tie in the rating to the third column. Here is my generic table:

State   Colleges    Rating
Alabama        220      1
Alaska         100      3
Arizona         50      5
Arkansas       275      1
California     155      3
Colorado        68      5
Connecticut    235      1
Delaware       189      3
Florida         32      5
Georgia        219      1
Hawaii         117      3
Idaho           63      5
Illinois       264      1
Indiana        167      3
Iowa            76      5
Kansas         287      1
Kentucky       178      3
Louisiana       67      5
Maine          246      1
Maryland       169      3
Massachusetts   46      5
Michigan       225      1
Minnesota      132      3
Mississippi     23      5
Missouri       219      1
Montana        194      3
Nebraska        97      5

Below is my very simple script:

library(wordcloud)
library(rcolorbrewer)

data <- read.csv("wordcloud.csv", header = T)
pal <- brewer.pal(9, "RdYlGn")
wordcloud(data$State, data$Colleges, scale = c(4,1), colors = pal, rot.per=.5)

The above script allows for text size to reflect number of colleges, but I am not able to link the color ramp of 1 = green (good) to 3 = yellow (average) to 5 = red (bad). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2 Answers
Related