Converting base64 imageString to bitmap to display in ImageView showing null in bitmap

Viewed 4424

(Edited)

  • While hitting the API in browser, it is downloading the image. The URL is http://example.com/api/v1/filedownloader.json?file=GvygDaYb64wUon0lxp2H1458543376 .

  • I have changed the server name and added example.com to that URL. So it won't download an image file while running in browser. But you can see the image file here.

  • Then I checked the file with Encode tool and Decode tool.

  • After decoding, I am getting .bin file. Then I changed into .png format. Only then can I get the exact image.

  • I don't know how to do all these functionalities to get the image and display it in imageView.

  • Anyhow I tried the code below with this:

Logcat:

03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392): ÿØÿà��JFIF������������ÿí��Photoshop 3.0��8BIM����������g��9dXpsI_ORS9jWIcxWfWe(��bFBMD01000abe030000070e0000c51a0000161c0000251d0000bc2000007f350000fc370000323a00003f3c0000f4620000ÿâICC_PROFILE������lcms����mntrRGB XYZ Ü��������)��9acspAPPL����������������������������������������������������öÖ����������Ó-lcms����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392): desc������ü������^cprt����\������wtpt����h������bkpt����|������rXYZ����������gXYZ����¤������bXYZ����¸������rTRC����Ì������@gTRC����Ì������@bTRC����Ì������@desc��������������c2��������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������text��������FB����XYZ ������������öÖ����������Ó-XYZ ����������������3����¤XYZ ������������o¢����8õ����XYZ ������������b����·����ÚXYZ ������������$ ��������¶Ïcurv��������������������ËÉckö?Q4!ñ)2;FQw]íkpz±|¬i¿}ÓÃé0ÿÿÿÛ��C��       
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392):    

"##!  %*5-%'2(  .?/279<<<$-BFA:F5;<9ÿÛ��C
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392): 9& &99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999ÿÂ��¸¸��"��ÿÄ����������������������������ÿÄ��������������������������ÿÄ��������������������������ÿÚ����������íÐÙG,!.Ph5ð8ò÷¸¥®ÐàÔ§DUdº
de��kP'.¤ÅS BG  ìóölâvw@+.ÆÖ®©$¸
Ø
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392): K¥Yp ³ºXC¹O/)u RÉuEÊ$£³UÂP©hL^ÅÌ ·üûÌ%§ EU-1i6Ss©,ÞÌõ®{·W¹k`¤I!kwt%ÙeP¦*Ôªóï-¿
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392):  l"4áá#^-KSIBá¯S¨jYeîÌùucÓq}Lvå^ jÍ [Bz¾·í'nUï#tE  ÂQ(äf)Uw(5ݨG/cUÙÀSAIÓ(´ÌÑY.,±iíÒ«Bଽ^pvf;TAX,KÄEµ XbìÜHqßìx¯Wf    ¬«R\¤.ªªì#IOYçx=ÿ��7+J%g(ªÉM*ÖhÙ­¶ìíZMøØ¹s^²Èó¡fº­(%F¬î\ÓF¥§*ÇÈÉ+«Çu{H륭]G4Q%A]Eñî>±3¦Y:,tÖØ&:×F3Óf]¡9ÖõQ9Zã��ÕZ3¼9zIÖy¶ÓT ÓPֺϫ@eÎv ìô}¿%ên[Tz)h6v¹n­,h°°?ÅfìÓOÇZ1ЮÑCdÖJí³íÁ±ÌN·VcÔpÐèkEÃ`W°+5hg
`Eçg4µãß4VzÆÏ[ã½-x7¨A`ºÊD5Wå®ky{º¬ZùöeÔÏG¶Br    VD&´³·
&µçY׬fLDLEP²¬X°2®æ¹\{Æ|°o{¾¦®w* Kªj2ÖåÉâ��nkv¼yöÐC3·±MÎWÆ%ÈmÞ  e��æÌè*ÍsgJSWPØ+bn]@0×<¸7cßnçé³Ü߸pª(©AÕÂÖV*ϯNlë^¬:ùõÝjfz½©vuwV4nvFåf°ÒT±0&§c,³ Yv#tUH\%Ø\ÚÇ6¹-úr[n}ÃêÈÊ`J¡£!  t¬ªÍ£<7VMXë³Fmú¹«vwED¥pÐlÌ6k!m+[lI@2Ò¬êÂhFè© jl%\Gfß Ìäï¿>o!jJ²Ìn¡,®XJg"<ÊH!»±ô±ÔÞ¶c¦¥ÙÝÚÙ  `HwW¨Â]¡Â;R´eZ¦Í.¡T`-MSs3ståS|˧ØY¢VÛ1ÌA^¶"­¹Id"¹¹=,»ùÄô0o¾=©7¥ù¦u¶ò:WÚa..ÊAÙ F®tXhÐåJB#)Â1bj±jhÙÍÍÒæôåV,×-^ãÃûPúuë9rj#D^®4WFªêÞ_sÇÓÈáú(?¥r2³¡'äa¥y]yÖfúRàîèGf´¦vuóñCYë³Gj¹$t&
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392): ftK4]Oc¾yØ;u^ØÎûÀ!×ÎÖZ±yVµv    ÐÙËò¿/.ÃÇìr±Ó6ìÚõdÌél0MU±:æ3¤¼æµ¸é[qêÍ}´õà\ÈÚÍg³å^{0½*ÃÓÎò£¨Äàb«Óæëë/£¬Îo|½æîV{ðUµr®1É.¥Ü.
¥!ù±ÐyÝNo>ØõfÔ\ãuvc=C¨².¥H:M$º$£\é:·
dt(ÓZÆP×ró¬³P-P¥µR¯ü]9wØÕóínnÿ��+£æùç
pçRv¢E¢òêNw1j>]¸ë65.çլ첢² 1ì0aÝÉVrÀ¦] j¬eµpïÍeä×]9vW&;§ÑùßA߯éɽc®|n Ù!æYbÔ£¢èLVwñïËÍÕâGUÙuã©°hC-eEg~u
03-24 04:29:43.816: E/OnResponse(15392):  MnK9Û0ìW¥Îzr¥º.êVÅBrjǬKOx%³*·µÍßÛÍììòúÉrCÍBcAXrÅ1Þ;Óçã¦Xusé jLS[uXïFuJf¡«²Ãôb|t3µ¶¢£(XÂÐùwË£ÒÌÖ¢#:qê^o·T��ä%gÈ`*WQlJ N×EÌéx®4»õáÓÃÓ±n6f6


03-24 04:29:43.816: D/skia(15392): --- SkImageDecoder::Factory returned null

03-24 04:29:43.816: E/myBitmap(15392): null

03-24 04:29:43.816: D/AndroidRuntime(15392): Shutting down VM
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392): Process: com.steve.test, PID: 15392
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392): java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'int android.graphics.Bitmap.getWidth()' on a null object reference
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at android.graphics.Bitmap.createScaledBitmap(Bitmap.java:596)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.steve.test.SecondActivity$1.onResponse(SecondActivity.java:121)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.steve.test.SecondActivity$1.onResponse(SecondActivity.java:1)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.android.volley.toolbox.StringRequest.deliverResponse(StringRequest.java:60)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.android.volley.toolbox.StringRequest.deliverResponse(StringRequest.java:1)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.android.volley.ExecutorDelivery$ResponseDeliveryRunnable.run(ExecutorDelivery.java:99)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:739)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:135)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5221)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:372)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:899)
03-24 04:29:43.817: E/AndroidRuntime(15392):    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:694)

SecondActivity.java:

 public class SecondActivity extends AppCompatActivity {


    String base64String;
    Bitmap bitmap;
    ImageView img ;

     String userValidationURL, base64;
     byte[] data;

    @Override
    protected void onCreate(Bundle savedInstanceState) {
        super.onCreate(savedInstanceState);
        setContentView(R.layout.second_activity);

        img = (ImageView)findViewById(R.id.imageView);

        base64String = "GvygDaYb64wUon0lxp2H1458543376";

        userValidationURL = "http://example.com/api/v1/filedownloader.json?file=GvygDaYb64wUon0lxp2H1458543376"; 

       hitSearchApi(); 
    }

    private void hitSearchApi(){

            Log.e("userValidationUrl", userValidationURL);

            StringRequest request = new StringRequest(Request.Method.GET, userValidationURL, new Response.Listener<String>() {

                @Override
                public void onResponse(String response) {
                    if(response != null && !response.startsWith("<HTML>")){
                        Log.e("OnResponse", response);                                               

                    byte[] decodedString = Base64.decode("GvygDaYb64wUon0lxp2H1458543376", Base64.DEFAULT);
                    Bitmap myBitmap = BitmapFactory.decodeByteArray(decodedString, 0, decodedString.length);

                    Log.e("mybitmap", ""+myBitmap);
                                            img.setImageBitmap(Bitmap.createScaledBitmap(myBitmap, img.getWidth(), img.getHeight(), false));

                        dialog.dismiss();

                    }else{

                        Log.e("onResponseElse", "onResponseElse");

                        dialog.dismiss();
                    }
                }
            }, new Response.ErrorListener() {

                @Override
                public void onErrorResponse(VolleyError error) {
                    if(error != null){
                        Log.e("error", error.toString());
                        dialog.dismiss();
                    }

                }
            }){
                @Override
                protected Map<String,String> getParams(){
                    Map<String,String> params = new HashMap<String, String>();

                    params.put("file", base64String);

                    Log.e("paramsImg", ""+params);

                    return params;
                }

                @Override
                public Map<String, String> getHeaders() throws AuthFailureError {
                    Map<String,String> params = new HashMap<String, String>();
                    params.put("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
                    return params;
                }
            };
        RequestQueue queue = Volley.newRequestQueue(SecondActivity.this);
        queue.add(request);
        queue.getCache().remove(userValidationURL);    
    }        
}

What is wrong with this code? Why I am getting null in bitmap. Anyone can help me with this.

7 Answers

This may help, albeit not directly. My situation was that I had an image handler script which secured images by hiding their location and only rendering their base64-encoded strings after strict validations. Then I thought this could work with an android web-view on local html files with hardcoded URLs to local storage location but Bitmap Factory kept on complaining of null values. I had to secure the location by same script but instead of delivering base-64 data, I forced the image download via this code (at php server side) after necessary authorizations:

//url construction with creds from android – using normal download stream – app side (download class must be created) 
String targetURL = "https://www.example.com/images.php?download&xuname="+uname+"&xuagent="+useragent+"&xaccn="+ xaccn;

//grab vital details and validate the call – server side
if(isset($_GET['uname'])){      
    $uname = $_GET['xuname'];   //---- normal cleaning may apply
    //...
    //...
    //... authorization engines 
}else {
    //handle this with may be generic image 
}   
//if fine, now force the normal download of the file – normal input / output streams will understand it 
$filepath = "$path/$imagename";     //--- actual file location with name 
header('Content-Description: File Transfer');
header('Content-Type: application/octet-stream');
header('Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="'.basename($filepath).'"');
header('Expires: 0');
header('Cache-Control: must-revalidate');
header('Pragma: public');
header('Content-Length: ' . filesize($filepath));
flush(); // Flush system output buffer
readfile($filepath);
exit;
Related