Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 in my app

Viewed 169747

I'm trying to compile my Android project and I'm getting this error

[INFO] Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/android/dx/command/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0
[INFO]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
[INFO]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:800)
[INFO]  at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:142)
[INFO]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:449)
[INFO]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:71)
[INFO]  at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:361)
[INFO]  at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
[INFO]  at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
[INFO]  at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
[INFO]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
[INFO]  at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:308)
[INFO]  at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
[INFO]  at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(LauncherHelper.java:482)
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------
[INFO] BUILD FAILURE
[INFO] ------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been reading in other post that try to compile with Java 8 might cause that error but not my case, I have the following Java version:

java version "1.7.0_79"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.5) (7u79-2.5.5-0ubuntu0.14.04.2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.79-b02, mixed mode)

OS: Linux Mint (I'm not have Java 8 installed.) Build: MAVEN

Can anyone help me with this?

28 Answers

I installed Android Studio alongside to Xamarin Visual Studio (was already installed). After the installation (excluded SDK, because they were already installed) I started Android Studio and it downloaded, installed and added missing SDKs (after giving the path to the SDK location). As a result I got the error message on build

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: com/android/dx/command/Main : Unsupported major.minor version 52.0

As a solution I installed jdk-8u101-windows-i586.exe without JRE (because it was already installed). Before I tried the x64 version, but it disappeared ... Then you have to change the Java Development Kit location.

Change JDK location

This is done in Visual Studio by clicking Tools > Options > Xamarin > Android Settings. Here you can navigate to the correct location. In my case it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.8.0_101.

Finally, clean your project and make a new build :-)

Get this error message on the travis build server?

I fixed my travis build with buildToolsVersion "24.0.2" using this

# travis build 
language: android

jdk:
  - oraclejdk8

android:
  components:
    - tools
    - build-tools-24.0.2
    - android-23

    - add-on
    - extra

script:
  - jdk_switcher use oraclejdk8
  - ./gradlew assemble

The Simplest solution is you have to update your JDK to latest, version . Because Cordova supports only latest JDK .

1. First of all you have to update your Android SDK. Then,

2. If you are not able to update through your terminal , Got to your Software center of Linux destro and search the Latest (which one you want to install) and install that one .

Then again run Cordova build .

It will solve the problem .

In ,my case it worked.

Related