String comparison on Android Data Binding

Viewed 16238

I'm trying to make a string comparison with android XML data binding, but I'm not having the right results.

Evaluating my expression in code, I try notice.action == "continue" and this is false. And in data binding, this is false too, of course.

android:textColor='@{ notice.action == "continue" ? @color/enabledPurple : @color/disabledGray}'

It only gets true when I do notice.action.equals("continue") by code. This is the intended behavior. My problem is that I can't accomplish this with data binding expressions, because it won't run methods like equals. What can I do to replace the comparison expression with another one that works?

I'm using this guide.

Edit: I was wrong, methods are allowed in XML. Did it this way:

android:textColor='@{ notice.action.equals("continue") ? @color/enabledPurple : @color/disabledGray}'
4 Answers

There is no need to import the String class into your layout file.

To check whether two strings have equal value or not equals() method should be used.

= is used to check the whether the two strings refer to the same reference object or not.

Solution:

android:textColor="@{notice.action.equals(`continue`) ? @color/enabledPurple : @color/disabledGray }"

'continue' is char type, so it should be changed to String to compare with notice.action.

android:textColor="@{notice.action.equals(String.valueOf(`continue`)) ? @color/enabledPurple : @color/disabledGray }"
Related