Reading a UTF-8 text file (in Hebrew) shows gibrish in RStudio's console and fine in RGUI

Viewed 1264

I am trying to understand if this is a bug in RStudio or am I missing something.

I am reading a csv file into R. When printing it into the console in RStudio I get gibrish (unless I look at a specific vector). While in Rgui this is fine.

The code I will run is this:

Sys.setlocale("LC_ALL", "Hebrew")
x <- read.csv("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/talgalili/temp2/gh-pages/Hebrew_UTF8.txt", encoding="UTF-8")  
x # shows gibrish
x[,2]
colnames(x)

Here is the output from RStudio (gibrish)

> x <- read.csv("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/talgalili/temp2/gh-pages/Hebrew_UTF8.txt", encoding="UTF-8")
> x
   âéì..áùðéí. îéâãø
1         23.0   æëø
2         24.0  ð÷áä
3         23.0  ð÷áä
4         24.0  ð÷áä
5         25.0   æëø
6         18.0   æëø
7         26.0   æëø
8         21.5  ð÷áä
9         24.0   æëø
10        26.0   æëø
11        24.0   æëø
12        19.0  ð÷áä
13        19.0  ð÷áä
14        24.5   æëø
15        21.0  ð÷áä
> x[,2]
 [1] זכר  נקבה נקבה נקבה זכר  זכר  זכר  נקבה זכר  זכר  זכר  נקבה נקבה זכר  נקבה
Levels: זכר נקבה
> colnames(x)
[1] "âéì..áùðéí." "îéâãø"      
> 

And here it is in Rgui (here it is fine):

>     x <- read.csv("https://raw.githubusercontent.com/talgalili/temp2/gh-pages/Hebrew_UTF8.txt", encoding="UTF-8")  
>     x # shows gibrish
   גיל..בשנים. מיגדר
1         23.0   זכר
2         24.0  נקבה
3         23.0  נקבה
4         24.0  נקבה
5         25.0   זכר
6         18.0   זכר
7         26.0   זכר
8         21.5  נקבה
9         24.0   זכר
10        26.0   זכר
11        24.0   זכר
12        19.0  נקבה
13        19.0  נקבה
14        24.5   זכר
15        21.0  נקבה
>     x[,2]
 [1] זכר  נקבה נקבה נקבה זכר  זכר  זכר  נקבה זכר  זכר  זכר  נקבה נקבה זכר  נקבה
Levels: זכר נקבה
>     colnames(x)
[1] "גיל..בשנים." "מיגדר"      
> 

In both sessions, my sessionInfo() is:

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.2.3 (2015-12-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 7 x64 (build 7601) Service Pack 1

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=Hebrew_Israel.1255  LC_CTYPE=Hebrew_Israel.1255   
[3] LC_MONETARY=Hebrew_Israel.1255 LC_NUMERIC=C                  
[5] LC_TIME=Hebrew_Israel.1255    

attached base packages:
[1] stats     graphics  grDevices datasets  utils     methods   base     

other attached packages:
[1] installr_0.17.0

I'm using the latest RStudio version 0.99.892

Thanks.

1 Answers
Related