I work with wildlife radio transmitters and I would like to build something that will listen for these signals and keep track of what it has heard. The signal is a tone that is transmitted 60 times per minute normally, or 120 if a motion sensor indicates the animal has died.
My plan is to use GNU Radio to listen and convert the signal into some type of matrix that is saved to file, and then analyzed in a second program. Is there a way to get vectors of signal strength at 500 Hz intervals across a few megahertz, and put them together into a matrix?
The secondary program would interpret this output and find the wildlife transmitters and record their pulse rates. The idea would be to get an new file every 10 seconds or so from GNU Radio, and process it with the second program as it is received.
I have been trying to use the file sink block in GNU Radio, and realized that it is in binary. Also not sure what exactly what it contains.
Any suggested approaches on how I should do this would be appreciated!