I am currently tasked with finding a solution for a serious PHP bottleneck which is apparently caused by server-side minification of CSS and JS when our sites are under high load.
Some details and what I have found out so far
I inherited a web application running on Wordpress and which uses a complex constellation of Doctrine, Memcached and W3 Total Cache for minification and caching. When under heavy load our application begins to slow down rapidly. So far we have narrowed part of the problem down to the server-side minification process. Preliminary analysis has shown that the number PHP processes start to stack up under load, and when reaching the process limit of 500 processes, start to slow everything down. Something which is also mentioned by the author of the minify library.
Solutions I have evaluated so far
Pre-minification
The most logical solution would be to pre-minify any of the files before going live. Unfortunately our workflow demands that non-developers should be able to edit said files on our production servers (i.e. after the web app has gone live). Therefore I think that pre-processing is out of the question, as it limits the editability of minified files.
Serving unminified files
75% of our users are accessing our web application with their mobile devices, especially smartphones. Unminified JS and CSS amounts to 432KB and is reduced by 60-80% in size when minified. Therefore serving unminified files, while solving the performance and editability problem, is for the sake of mobile users out of the question.
I understand that this is as much a technical problem as it is a workflow problem and I guess we are open to working on both as long as we end up with a better overall performance.
My questions
Is there a reasonable compromise which solves the PHP bottleneck problem, allows for non-devs to make changes to live CSS/JS and still serves reasonably sized files to clients.
If there is no such one-size-fits-all solution, what can I do to better our workflow and / or server-side behaviour?
EDIT: Because there were some questions / comments regarding the server configuration, our servers run Debian and are equipped with 32GB of RAM and 24 core CPUs.