Map Json Data To Html Template In GoLang

Viewed 8200

I am looping through my API response and adding it to the html template like this,

 // Following sends same information as above to the browser as html
     t, err := template.New("TopMovies").Parse(`
      {{define "TopMovies"}}
        <html>
        <ul>
        {{$ImgUrl := "http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w185" }}
        {{range $movies := .Results}}
        <li>{{$ImgUrl}}{{$movies.PosterPath}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Adult}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Overview}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.ReleaseDate}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.GenreIds}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Id}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.OriginalTitle}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.OriginalLanguage}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Title}}</li>
        <li>{{$ImgUrl}}{{$movies.BackdropPath}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Popularity}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.VoteCount}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Video}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.VoteAverage}}</li>
        {{end}}
        </ul>
        </html>
      {{end}}
      `)
    err = t.ExecuteTemplate(w, "T", p) // This writes the client response
}

I am under the impression I should be able to call this in my html templates like this,

{{.TopMovies}}

But when I run the app the data does not appear in the html page I am calling it in. What am I missing here?

I create a struct like this,

//A Page structure
type Page struct {
  Title string
  TopMovies string
}

Then I create my handle like this,

func TopMoviesHandler(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
   res, err := http.Get(url)
      if err != nil {
        panic(err)
      }
      defer res.Body.Close()

      body, err := ioutil.ReadAll(res.Body)
      if err != nil {
        panic(err)
      }
      var p Payload

      err = json.Unmarshal(body, &p)
      if err != nil {
        panic(err)
      }

  // Following sends same information as above to the browser as html
     t, err := template.New("TopMovies").Parse(`
      {{define "TopMovies"}}
        <html>
        <ul>
        {{$ImgUrl := "http://image.tmdb.org/t/p/w185" }}
        {{range $movies := .Results}}
        <li>{{$ImgUrl}}{{$movies.PosterPath}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Adult}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Overview}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.ReleaseDate}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.GenreIds}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Id}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.OriginalTitle}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.OriginalLanguage}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Title}}</li>
        <li>{{$ImgUrl}}{{$movies.BackdropPath}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Popularity}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.VoteCount}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.Video}}</li>
        <li>{{$movies.VoteAverage}}</li>
        {{end}}
        </ul>
        </html>
      {{end}}
      `)
    err = t.ExecuteTemplate(w, "T", p) // This writes the client response
}

Then in main.go

   http.HandleFunc("/TopPicks", TopMoviesHandler)

TopPicks.html

{{define "TopPicks"}}
    {{template "header" .}}
    <div class="content">
    {{.TopMovies}}
    </div>
     {{template "footer" .}}
    {{end}}

What does work is this,

func aboutHandler(w http.ResponseWriter, r *http.Request) {
  display(w, "about", &Page{Title: "About"})
}

I can add a title to the page in the same way as I previously mentioned but using display()

And in the html template

<title>{{.Title}}</title>

How can I make this work for my json response?

2 Answers
Related