Pushing code from one branch of a repo to another branch of another repo

Viewed 31758

There is a repo say ABC/A. I had forked this repo to my own github say ME/A. I was asked to create a branch on ME/A say x (originally there were develop and master). I had to write some code, so I cloned ABC/A and worked on its develop branch. But now when I have to push the code, I cannot push it to ABC/A as i dont have rights to do so. I have to push the code to ME/A. The problem is, I worked on develop branch for ABC/A but I have to push the code to ME/A x branch. Is it possible to push code in such a way?

3 Answers

The answer by Roman is correct. However, there is an additional step that might not be obvious for some. You will need to first add the remote name and URL of the new repo(Repo you are trying to push to), before pushing to a branch in that repo. This can be done like so;

git remote add <remote name> <remote url>
//For example
git remote add origin2 https://user@github.com/example/new_repo.git

Then you can proceed like in Roman's answer, by pushing to that new repo branch like so

git push origin2 local_branch:new_repo_branch
Related