Twitter API: How to exclude retweets when searching tweets using Twython

Viewed 8811

I'm trying to exclude retweets and replies in my Twython search.

Here is my code:

from twython import Twython, TwythonError

app_key = "xxxx"
app_secret = "xxxx"
oauth_token = "xxxx"
oauth_token_secret = "xxxx"   

naughty_words = [" -RT"]
good_words = ["search phrase", "another search phrase"]
filter = " OR ".join(good_words)
blacklist = " -".join(naughty_words)
keywords = filter + blacklist

twitter = Twython(app_key, app_secret, oauth_token, oauth_token_secret) 
search_results = twitter.search(q=keywords, count=100)

The problem is that the -RT function isn't really working.

EDIT:

I've tried @forge suggestion, and while it does print the if tweets are not retweets or replies, when I incorporate them into the code below, the bot still finds tweets, retweets, quotes and replies.

twitter = Twython(app_key, app_secret, oauth_token, oauth_token_secret) query = 'beer OR wine AND -filter:retweets AND -filter:replies' 
response = twitter.search(q=query, count=100) 
statuses = response['statuses'] 
try: 
for tweet in statuses: 
try: 
twitter.retweet(id = tweet["id_str"]) 
except TwythonError as e: 
print e 
except TwythonError as e: 
print e

Any ideas? Is there a filter:quotes?

1 Answers
Related