I am developing a gallery-like Activity. Everything runs fine but there is a key functionality which is missing and I couldn't find a decent answer or explanation. What I need is to give the user the ability to select multiple items by long clicking on them.
Here is the desired result:
You can clearly see the selected pics and the options in the ActionBar.
My setup is this:
1.I have a GridView in my XML:
<GridView xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
android:id="@+id/gridview"
android:layout_width="fill_parent"
android:layout_height="fill_parent"
android:columnWidth="90dp"
android:numColumns="auto_fit"
android:verticalSpacing="5dp"
android:horizontalSpacing="5dp"
android:stretchMode="columnWidth"
android:gravity="center"/>
2.It is attached to a class, which extends BaseAdapter and loads images using Picasso:
public class GalleryAdapter extends BaseAdapter {
Context mContext;
List<String> mDataset;
public GalleryAdapter(Context context, List<String> dataset) {
mContext = context;
mDataset = dataset;
}
@Override
public int getCount() {
return mDataset.size();
}
@Override
public Object getItem(int position) {
return mDataset.get(position);
}
@Override
public long getItemId(int position) {
return 0;
}
@Override
public View getView(int position, View convertView, ViewGroup parent) {
ImageView imageView;
if(convertView == null){
imageView = new ImageView(mContext);
imageView.setLayoutParams(new GridView.LayoutParams(200,200));
imageView.setScaleType(ImageView.ScaleType.CENTER_CROP);
imageView.setPadding(8,8,8,8);
} else {
imageView = (ImageView) convertView;
}
//TODO: REMOVE INTEGER.VALUEOFF. IT'S MADE FOR MOCK
Picasso.with(mContext).load(Integer.valueOf(mDataset.get(position))).fit().into(imageView);
return imageView;
}
}
3.It is attached to the Activity:
//Get images paths
List<String> data = getImagesPath(this);
List<String> sortedData = new ArrayList<>();
for(String file : data){
sortedData.add(0, file);
}
GalleryAdapter adapter = new GalleryAdapter(this, sortedData);
mGallery.setAdapter(adapter);
From now on the struggle begins:
I tried making my item in the GridView to implement Checkable:
public class CheckableItem extends LinearLayout implements Checkable{ private boolean mIsChecked = false; private static final int[] CHECKED_STATE_SET = { android.R.attr.state_checked }; public CheckableItem(Context context) { super(context); } @Override protected int[] onCreateDrawableState(int extraSpace) { int[] drawableState = super.onCreateDrawableState(extraSpace + 1); if (isChecked()) mergeDrawableStates(drawableState, CHECKED_STATE_SET); return drawableState; } @Override public void setChecked(boolean checked) { mIsChecked = checked; refreshDrawableState(); } @Override public boolean isChecked() { return mIsChecked; } @Override public void toggle() { setChecked(!isChecked()); refreshDrawableState(); }
Then I load it in my XML and added .setChoiceMode(GridView.CHOICE_MODE_MULTIPLE) to my GridView in the Activity. Nothing Happened.
Added MultiChoiceModeListener:
class MultiChoiceListener implements GridView.MultiChoiceModeListener{ @Override public void onItemCheckedStateChanged(ActionMode mode, int position, long id, boolean checked) { int selectCount = mGallery.getCheckedItemCount(); switch (selectCount) { case 1: mode.setSubtitle("One item selected"); break; default: mode.setSubtitle("" + selectCount + " items selected"); break; } }@Override public boolean onCreateActionMode(ActionMode mode, Menu menu) { mode.setTitle("Select Items"); mode.setSubtitle("One item selected"); return true; } @Override public boolean onPrepareActionMode(ActionMode mode, Menu menu) { return false; } @Override public boolean onActionItemClicked(ActionMode mode, MenuItem item) { return false; } @Override public void onDestroyActionMode(ActionMode mode) { }}
Then added it to my gridView .setMultiChoiceModeListener(newMultiChoiceListener()); but still no results.
Can someone propose a way to achieve this item selecting behavior in GridView? I'd like to use the native Android API, no 3rd party libraries.
