Smart searching contacts in android

Viewed 2141

Following This Retrieving a List of Contacts Tutorial in the android developers site, I managed to implement contacts search functionality. Here is my code so far

private void retrieveContactRecord(String phoneNo) {
        try {
            Log.e("Info", "Input: " + phoneNo);
            Uri uri = Uri.withAppendedPath(ContactsContract.PhoneLookup.CONTENT_FILTER_URI,
                    Uri.encode(phoneNo));
            String[] projection = new String[]{ContactsContract.PhoneLookup._ID, ContactsContract.PhoneLookup.DISPLAY_NAME};


            String sortOrder = ContactsContract.PhoneLookup.DISPLAY_NAME + " COLLATE LOCALIZED ASC";
            ContentResolver cr = getContentResolver();
            if (cr != null) {
                Cursor resultCur = cr.query(uri, projection, null, null, sortOrder);
                if (resultCur != null) {
                    while (resultCur.moveToNext()) {
                        String contactId = resultCur.getString(resultCur.getColumnIndex(ContactsContract.PhoneLookup._ID));
                        String contactName = resultCur.getString(resultCur.getColumnIndexOrThrow(ContactsContract.PhoneLookup.DISPLAY_NAME));
                        Log.e("Info", "Contact Id : " + contactId);
                        Log.e("Info", "Contact Display Name : " + contactName);
                        break;
                    }
                    resultCur.close();
                }
            }
        } catch (Exception sfg) {
            Log.e("Error", "Error in loadContactRecord : " + sfg.toString());
        }
    }

Here is the catch, this code works pretty great, but I need to implement a smart search here. I want 26268 to match Amanu as well as 094 526 2684. I believe it is called T9 dictionary.

I tried looking at other projects for clue, but I couldn't find anything. Any pointers would be appreciated!

3 Answers
Related