Can't import java.util.Scanner

Viewed 20357

I have been trying to create program that lets a user input a number of eggs to buy and calculates the price. I have tried using the scanner method to input the integer, but I can't seem to import the scanner method.

Here's what I have:

package eggsorder;
import java.util.Scanner;
import java.io.IOException;


public class EggsOrder {
static final double EGGS_DOZEN   = 7.25;
static final double EGGS_SINGLE = 0.75;
static final int DOZEN_NUMBER = 12;

public static void main(String[] args) throws IOException {
    System.out.println("Enter number of eggs for purchase: ");   
    Scanner enter = new Scanner(System.in);
    int eggs = enter.nextInt();
    System.out.println("You ordered " + eggs + "eggs.");
    System.out.println("That is " + (eggs / DOZEN_NUMBER) + " dozen eggs     at 7.25 per dozen and " + (eggs % DOZEN_NUMBER) + " additional eggs at 0.75 each");
    System.out.println("Which is a total price of "  + (((eggs % DOZEN_NUMBER) * EGGS_SINGLE) + ((eggs / DOZEN_NUMBER) * EGGS_DOZEN)));

This is the error I get after running:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Uncompilable source code - cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class Scanner
  location: class java.util
at eggsorder.EggsOrder.<clinit>(EggsOrder.java:7)

The code works without the scanner method, but it needs to use it.

I have tried using java.util and various other variations but to no avail.

Also, I am using the latest version of NetBeans and java

4 Answers
Related