AES Encryption IV's

Viewed 24881

I am using this below (E.1) for my application, there is obviously a huge glaring security hole in this that I recognize and understand. I have grown interested in encryption and want to understand it better, I need to generate a random key along with an IV but am unsure how to do so properly Can someone explain to me whom is familiar with AES encryption how this works (IV & KEY) So I am better able to understand in the future and can apply my knowledge, essentially I just want to make the code more secure, thank you.

(E.1)

    byte[] key = "mykey".getBytes("UTF-8");

    private byte[] getKeyBytes(final byte[] key) throws Exception {
        byte[] keyBytes = new byte[16];
        System.arraycopy(key, 0, keyBytes, 0, Math.min(key.length, keyBytes.length));
        return keyBytes;
    }

    public Cipher getCipherEncrypt(final byte[] key) throws Exception {
        byte[] keyBytes = getKeyBytes(key);
        Cipher cipher = Cipher.getInstance("AES/CBC/PKCS5Padding");
        SecretKeySpec secretKeySpec = new SecretKeySpec(keyBytes, "AES");
        IvParameterSpec ivParameterSpec = new IvParameterSpec(keyBytes);
        cipher.init(Cipher.ENCRYPT_MODE, secretKeySpec, ivParameterSpec);
        return cipher;
    }

    public void encrypt(File in, File output, byte[] key) throws Exception {

        Cipher cipher = getCipherEncrypt(key);
        FileOutputStream fos = null;
        CipherOutputStream cos = null;
        FileInputStream fis = null;
        try {
            fis = new FileInputStream(in);
            fos = new FileOutputStream(output);
            cos = new CipherOutputStream(fos, cipher);
            byte[] data = new byte[1024];
            int read = fis.read(data);
            while (read != -1) {
                cos.write(data, 0, read);
                read = fis.read(data);
             System.out.println(new String(data, "UTF-8").trim());

            }
            cos.flush();

        } finally {

            System.out.println("performed encrypt method now closing streams:\n" + output.toString());
            cos.close();
            fos.close();
            fis.close();


        }
    }


public void watchMeEncrypt(){

encrypt(file, new File ("example.txt),key);
1 Answers
Related