Is it possible to know which library pulled in another one using ldd?

Viewed 1545

Once an application has been linked with the dynamic libraries it requires, is it possible to find out which exact library has pulled in another one that I'm seeing in the list?

For example, today I had a situation where a library that shouldn't have been there at all in the first place was present in the ldd output, and was crashing the application. By logical deduction, I could figure it out and isolate the problem, then rebuild the respective project to not include the faulty lib anymore. But is it possible to do the same without any additional knowledge about the application and the libraries it depends on, using an exterrnal tool from the likes of ldd? (The problem was that the library in question wasn't being used directly by the application, rather by another library that the application was linking to directly.)

In essence, it looks like I'm searching for a way to restore the linking dependency graph once the application has been linked together.

3 Answers
Related