Pre-Populate an edit form with WTForms and Flask

Viewed 18815

I am able to add a new entry to my database using WTForms and Flask and I can edit too, the problem is that I need to display the already existing information in the database in an edit form.

I have the following code:

A Class For the Edit Post Form

class editPostForm(Form):
    postTitle = TextField('postTitle', validators.Required()])
    postSubtitle = TextField('postSubtitle', validators.Required()])

A Route for the Edit Post Template

@app.route('/editpost/<postId>', methods = ['GET','POST'])
def editpost_page(postId):
try:
    form = editPostForm(form)

    if request.method == "POST" and form.validate():
        postTitle = form.postTitle.data
        postSubtitle = form.postSubtitle.data

        c, conn = connection()

        query = c.execute("SELECT * FROM posts WHERE post_id = (%s)",
                          [noinjection(postId)])

        c.execute("UPDATE posts SET post_title=%s, post_subtitle=%s WHERE post_id = %s",
                     [
                     noinjection(postTitle),
                     noinjection(postSubtitle),
                     noinjection(postId)
                     ])

        conn.commit()

        flash("Post Edited", 'success')

        c.close()
        conn.close()
        gc.collect()

        return redirect(url_for('posts'))

    return render_template("editpost.html", form = form, POST_ID = postId)

except Exception as e:
    return(str(e))

The Edit Post Template {jinja}

{% extends "header.html" %}

{% block body %}

<body>
    <div class="container-fluid">
        <br />
        <h4>Edit Post</h4>
        <br />
        {% from "_formhelpers.html" import render_field %}
        <form action="/editpost/{{ POST_ID }}" class="form-horizontal" method="post">
            {% from "_formhelpers.html" import render_field %}
            <form action="/editpost/" method="post">
              <div class="form-group">
                <label for="postTitle">Post Title</label>
                <input type="text" class="form-control" id="postTitle" name="postTitle" placeholder="Post Title" value="{{request.form.postTitle}}">
              </div>
              <div class="form-group">
                <label for="postSubtitle">Post Subtitle</label>
                <input type="text" class="form-control" id="postSubtitle" name="postSubtitle" placeholder="Post Subtitle" value="{{request.form.postSubtitle}}">
              </div>
              <button type="submit" class="btn btn-default">Submit</button>
            </form>
            {% if error %}
                <p class="error"><strong>Error: </strong>{{error}}</p>
            {% endif %}
        </form>
        {% if error %}
            <p class="error"><strong>Error: </strong>{{error}}</p>
        {% endif %}

    </div>
</body>

{% endblock %}

With the following code, I am getting a selected post to update in the database, but the editpost template is not showing the values which are already in the database and all the fields are blank.

How can I pre-populate the form before editing?

2 Answers
Related