Programmatically Introduce Pauses or Long Delays into Alexa Skill Capturing Input

Viewed 2848

I work at a NLI company and I have just created a skill where I have pretty much an open mic session with our Alexa Skill through the Amazon Echo. Everything works fine and I can have an open dialog with our backend knowledge base, without having to prefix anything with Alexa.

When I demo this skill, inevitably someone in the room interrupts and wants to enquire about how the NLI piece operates. If I mute the echo or don't ask it questions or answer its questions in a short period of time, the skill times out. I'm then forced to begin the interaction again but asking Alexa to start MySkillInvocation.

Question:

Is there a programmatic way to extend the timeout period when listening back from an Alexa Ask Response? Possibly even a way to programmatically pause a running skill?

3 Answers

Another way is to use the AudioPlayer Directives. So even if your session has ended, your skill will receive all intents. Which means you don't need to prefix with MyInvocationName.

I use a 1 minute silent MP3 to progress through the steps of a recipe. With the added benefit of an in-built timer.

Related