Java swing applications not rendering properly with VNC

Viewed 4709

Swing applications show a blank window when launched on a VNC desktop with Java 8. I don't have this problem with JRE 7 and non-swing applications (eg. Eclipse) runs properly with the same settings.

Are there some sort of default settings like 3D acceleration or something that have been enabled by default on JRE 8 ? How does i disable it ?

4 Answers

On Red Hat Enterprise Linux there were two settings in the /etc/xrdp/xrdp.ini file:

uncommented: serverbpp=24 changed existing item: max_bpp=24

I encountered this problem today after upgrading JetBrains pycharm to the 2019.x.x version (tried several of them).

Unlike the above, I was configured for 16 bit depth on both the vnc client and server which resulted in a red window with no text displayed when I started the upgraded pycharm (older 2018 versions worked fine).

Switching both the client (remmina - edit the individual connection configuration) and the server (tigervncserver / Xtigervnc) to 24 bit depth solved the problem for me.

Related