I'm attempting to watch a network share for folders where a file is added to the share to indicate the upload is complete. I wanted to use a FileSystemWatcher to monitor that share and its subdirectories for that trigger file, as shown below.
FileSystemWatcher fsw = new FileSystemWatcher(share, triggerFilePattern);
fsw.IncludeSubdirectories = true;
fsw.Created += new FileSystemEventHandler(OnCreated);
fsw.Renamed += new RenamedEventHandler(OnRenamed);
fsw.Error += new ErrorEventHandler(OnError);
If a file is created at the root of the share, the event triggers. If a file is created within a subdirectory of the share, the event does not trigger, and I don't get an error either.
If I create a new FileSystemWatcher for that subdirectory, then I do receive an event when a file is created there. But, similar to the top level FileSystemWatcher, I won't get events for files created in any further subdirectories.
If I change the network share to a local directory for testing, it does work as expected.
Any ideas? Could I have set up some wonky network share setting that blocks recursive FileSystemWatcher checks? I can work around this, but it would be nice to not have to complicate the code.
Edit: I saw that I didn't have Full Control under Properties->Security tab, so I thought that could be it. But I was able to get normal desired behavior on a different share with the same visible permissions, so I'm back to not knowing why this specific share isn't working.
Edit2: At a coworker's suggestion, I added a Changed handler too. Doesn't make sense to me how a file can be changed without getting Created first, but... I'm getting Changed events on the share in question when creating files in a subdirectory. (And I'm still getting nothing when renaming them.) This solves my immediate problem, but I'm going to leave the question open in case someone's able to answer why that's happening.