UnitTest ModelForm having ModelChoiceField with Mock Data

Viewed 1376

I've been trying to write unit test for my ModelForm, that has a ModelChoiceField. I'm creating the Form instance with mock data.

Here's my model:

# models.py
class Menu(models.Model):
    dish = models.ForeignKey(Dish, default=None)
    price = models.DecimalField(max_digits=7, decimal_places=2)

# forms.py
class MenuForm(forms.ModelForm):
    class Meta:
        model = Menu
        fields = ('dish', 'price',)

    def clean(self):
        cleaned_data = super(MenuForm, self).clean()
        price = cleaned_data.get('price', None)
        dish = cleaned_data.get('dish', None)

        # Some validation below
        if price < 70:
            self.add_error('price', 'Min price threshold')
            return cleaned_data

Here's my test case:

class MenuFormTest(TestCase):
    def test_price_threshold(self):
        mock_dish = mock.Mock(spec=Dish)
        form_data = {
            'dish': mock_dish,
            'price': 80,
        }
        form = forms.MenuForm(data=form_data)
        self.assertTrue(form.is_valid())

This fails with the following error:

<ul class="errorlist"><li>dish<ul class="errorlist"><li>Select a valid choice. That choice is not one of the available choices.</li></ul></li></ul>

How to make that avoid throw that error. form.is_valid() should have been True there. Is there a way I can patch the ModelChoiceField's queryset? I tried to patch form's dish field clean() method like below:

form = forms.MenuForm(data=form_data)
dish_clean_patcher = mock.patch.object(form.fields['dish'], 'clean')
dish_clean_patch = dish_clean_patcher.start()
dish_clean_patch.return_value = mock_dish

self.assertTrue(form.is_valid())

Then it looks like, it fails while saving form data to model instance in _post_clean() method. Here's the Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mock/mock.py", line 1305, in patched
    return func(*args, **keywargs)
  File "/vagrant/myapp/tests/test_forms.py", line 51, in test_price_threshold
    self.assertFalse(form.is_valid())
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py", line 185, in is_valid
    return self.is_bound and not self.errors
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py", line 177, in errors
    self.full_clean()
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/forms.py", line 396, in full_clean
    self._post_clean()
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/models.py", line 427, in _post_clean
    self.instance = construct_instance(self, self.instance, opts.fields, construct_instance_exclude)
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/forms/models.py", line 62, in construct_instance
    f.save_form_data(instance, cleaned_data[f.name])
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/fields/__init__.py", line 874, in save_form_data
    setattr(instance, self.name, data)
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/fields/related.py", line 632, in __set__
    instance._state.db = router.db_for_write(instance.__class__, instance=value)
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/utils.py", line 300, in _route_db
    if instance is not None and instance._state.db:
  File "/home/vagrant/venv/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mock/mock.py", line 716, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError("Mock object has no attribute %r" % name)
AttributeError: Mock object has no attribute '_state'

How do I avoid that part? I don't want it to look into instance._state.db at all.

Am I testing the form correctly? Or should I instead of calling form.is_valid(), just call form.clean() method, by patching the super(MenuForm, self).clean() method completely, and check form.errors?

2 Answers
Related