What to do when the terminal displays "Sorry, could not find a PTY"? (Mac OSx)

Viewed 14385

I'm connecting an android device to an FTDI, which is connected to my Mac. On my android device I'm using FTDI AOA HyperTerm. I can send chars without any problem to my mac using this program: https://www.decisivetactics.com/products/serial/. As you can see I can only use it for 7 days, so I want to use my Terminal instead. When I run this command:

screen /dev/tty.usbserial 9600

I get a blank screen with two messages, the second one being "Sorry, could not find a PTY".

What should I do to fix this?

EDIT: when I closed the Serial program, it worked on my Terminal. However, when I restart my Terminal it gives the same message. I open Serial, select my USB device, close serial and use my Terminal. Why is this?

2 Answers

I know this is old but I found the same problem today with my Raspberry PI and a PI UART card attached. I found that this error occurred when I opened up a screen session but didn't close it completely. I was able to fix by going to Activity Monitor and terminating any "screen" processes.

In my case there were no other "screen" processes running, but simply unplugging the device from the computer (i.e., USB to serial adapter) then plugging back in again cleared the issue.

Related