Working while waiting for pending PR

Viewed 19999

I'm working on a project and I submitted my first pull request and while I'm waiting I want to continue on working on my project building up from what I worked on the merge that's still pending on. Right now I have :

*master
user_story_1

user_story_1 has an open pull request.

Now I'm trying to create a new branch user_story_2 where I can continue the work I left of at user_story_1. How can I do this in Git without getting into any conflict or affecting my pending merge?

3 Answers

My preferred workflow for this:

  1. On branch master, git checkout -b user_story_1.
  2. Make changes to user_story_1.
  3. Open PR for user_story_1.
  4. On branch user_story_1, git checkout -b user_story_2.
  5. Make changes to user_story_2.
  6. Once user_story_1 gets merged into master, switch to user_story_2 and do git rebase -i master.
  7. This should show you a list of commits on user_story_2 that you want to include in the rebase. Delete the top few commits that came from user_story_1.
  8. The rebase should complete cleanly unless master was updated with other changes. Now you have user_story_2 rebased on master and only having its commits.
Related