Run Android emulator without GUI (headless Android)

Viewed 35136

How can I run emulator without GUI (headless Android)?

My requirement is to run the headless Android on the emulator. Is it correct if I use ro.config.headless 1? Or disable zygote?

4 Answers

One of the options to achieve that is to stop zygote service when an emulator running. When stopping the zygote process (aka app_process) all of the system services, that were forked from zygote at system boot, shuts down. Only a few native system services will be running. The emulator's display should show the startup logo (or animation).

The steps for stopping zygote are as follows:

  • adb shell
  • su (most of emulator images have /system/xbin/su)
  • stop zygote

After that you can explore how less services are running with service list. Critical for Android Runtime services will be stopped, e.g.

activity: [] // ActivityManager
package: [] // PackageManager
display: [] // DisplayManager
...

To start zygote execute:

  • start zygote

Note: with the @CommonsWare's solution you are still going to have zygote and most of the Android system services running.

I was facing an issue with the emulator not running after building AOSP on my ssh server ubuntu 18.4.

emulator: WARNING: system partition size adjusted to match image file (2562 MB > 800 MB) QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display Aborted (core dumped)

I used emulator -no-window and I found the emulator process started. now I can use ADB to verify AOSP changes

Related