Where is JavaScript?

Viewed 9118

I see Java...

Coming from a Java background, there's something you install to get Java to run - i.e., the JRE. You're able to see the Java executable files right there on your hard drive.

But I don't see JavaScript...

Now enter JavaScript. I'll type something in Notepad, save it and open it on my browser. And it works just like magic!

Where exactly is JavaScript? Obviously it's embedded in the browser code, but there must be some core JavaScript library somewhere. Any browser didn't exist at one point, surely they got their core JavaScript code from some source.

In short...

  1. Where is the source code of JavaScript itself? Something like jquery.js, backbone.js ... where is the "javascript.js"?

  2. Who is the authority that establishes the requirements for JavaScript? While the custodian of Java is clearly Oracle, I don't see any counterpart "owner" for JavaScript.

2 Answers
Related