Rule for Go Pointers, References, Dereferencing:

Viewed 3535

I am new to GoLang, coming from the Delphi, C++ world - admittedly very excited about this language, which I think is destined to become "the next big thing".

I am trying to get a handle around how the Go parser and compiler handle pointers and references - can't seem to find any place where some clear rules are laid out.

In the below code sample for example, the return type *list.List and the local variable l are pointer types and require the pointer symbol * in their declarations, but they don't have to be dereferenced in use: l.PushBack(i). But in this same code the input parameter value *int64 is declared as a pointer and has to be dereferenced to be used properly: var i int64 = *value / 2

I assume that this is because list.List is a reference type, so the dereferencing is implicit when used, while int64 is a value type and must be handled just as any pointer to a value type, as in C++ for example: It must be dereferenced.

What is confusing to me is that even though *list.List has to be declared as a pointer type using *, when using the list instance, dereferencing is not required. This had me quite confused initially. Is that "just the way it is", or am I missing something?

Sample:

func GetFactors(value *int64) *list.List {

    l := list.New()

    l.PushBack(*value)

    var i int64 = *value / 2

    for ; i > 1; i-- {

        if *value%i == 0 {

            l.PushBack(i)

        }
    }

    return l

}
1 Answers
Related