How to determine if a type is dereferenceable in C++03?

Viewed 528

In C++03, how do I determine if a type T is dereferenceable?
By which I mean, how do I statically determine if *t would be a valid expression for t of type T?

My attempt:

template<bool B, class T = void> struct enable_if { };
template<class T> struct enable_if<true, T> { typedef T type; };

unsigned char (&helper(void const *))[2];
template<class T>
typename enable_if<
    !!sizeof(**static_cast<T *>(NULL)),
    unsigned char
>::type helper(T *);

template<class T>
struct is_dereferenceable
{ static bool const value = sizeof(helper(static_cast<T *>(NULL))) == 1; };

struct Test
{
    int *operator *();
    void operator *() const;
private:
    Test(Test const &);
};

int main()
{
    std::cout << is_dereferenceable<int *>::value;       // should be true
    std::cout << is_dereferenceable<void *>::value;      // should be false
    std::cout << is_dereferenceable<Test>::value;        // should be true
    std::cout << is_dereferenceable<Test const>::value;  // should be false
}

It works on GCC (prints 1010) but crashes and burns on VC++ (1110) and Clang (1111).

2 Answers
Related