Virtualenv no module named zlib

Viewed 19703

I'm trying to create Python 2.7 virtual env under Python2.6, I'm simply running:

virtualenv --python=python27 #python27 correctly leads to my python installation in /opt/python2.7/bin/python

Virtualenv fails with following error

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/virtualenv.py", line 17, in <module>
import zlib
ImportError: No module named zlib

This puzzles me because:

1) I clearly do have python zlib module. I can import it easily when I run "import zlib" in interactive environment of python 2.6.

2) I also have zlib installed in my system (centos):

[me@mycomp]# rpm -qa | grep zlib
zlib-1.2.3-29.el6.x86_64
zlib-1.2.3-29.el6.i686
zlib-devel-1.2.3-29.el6.x86_64

There are two other questions concerning this issue, here and here, in both cases people simply don't have zlib installed which is not my case (I have it in python 2.6, which should be ok right?), they are also using pythonbrew which is apparently no longer under active development.

Why virtualenv can't find zlib? How virtualenv looks up its modules? Do I need to install zlib in my Python2.7? Or reinstall Python2.7 so that zlib is suppported?

Sidenote:please don't ask why I'm using old versions, it's not my choice.

2 Answers
Related