XML validation against XSD 1.1 with Xerces in Java

Viewed 10690

I have installed Xerces through Maven:

<dependencies>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>junit</groupId>
        <artifactId>junit</artifactId>
        <version>4.11</version>
        <scope>test</scope>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>org.jdom</groupId>
        <artifactId>jdom</artifactId>
        <version>2.0.2</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
        <groupId>xerces</groupId>
        <artifactId>xercesImpl</artifactId>
        <version>2.11.0</version>
    </dependency>            
</dependencies>

I then tried the code given in this example from the Xerces FAQ to validate a XML file against a schema in version 1.1. This is my code:

private static void validateFile(File xmlFile, File xsdFile) throws SAXException, IOException
{
    // 1. Lookup a factory for the W3C XML Schema language
    SchemaFactory factory = SchemaFactory.newInstance("http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema/v1.1");

    // 2. Compile the schema.
    File schemaLocation = xsdFile;
    Schema schema = factory.newSchema(schemaLocation);

    // 3. Get a validator from the schema.
    Validator validator = schema.newValidator();

    // 4. Parse the document you want to check.
    Source source = new StreamSource(xmlFile);

    // 5. Check the document
    try
    {
        validator.validate(source);
        System.out.println(xmlFile.getName() + " is valid.");
    }
    catch (SAXException ex)
    {
        System.out.println(xmlFile.getName() + " is not valid because ");
        System.out.println(ex.getMessage());
    }
}

The code only yields this exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: No SchemaFactory that implements the schema language specified by: http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema/v1.1 could be loaded
at javax.xml.validation.SchemaFactory.newInstance(SchemaFactory.java:204)
at example.xml.XSDValidator.validateFile(XSDValidator.java:65)

Seems like I failed to configure/install Xerces correctly. Please help me get this working, the XML files force me to use the schema in 1.1, I got a normal validator for 1.0 running but I have huge problems with this. I appreciate every hint!

4 Answers
Related