Iterating through a List Object in JSP

Viewed 141982

I am working on a project to try and teach myself spring and struts. I am currently stuck on a JSP page. I have a pojo class with variables eid and ename with getters/setters, I also have a table in sql with the same values with six populated rows.
I am accessing my database through a JdbcTemplate and have stored the result in a list, I then passed this list to my action page in which I set it as a request.setAttribute("empList",eList). In my jsp page I call that attribute and then try to iterate through it using JSTL.
However nothing shows up, I know that my list variable has data in it since i checked it using the expression tag <%=eList%> and objects show up like this:

[org.classes.database.Employee@d9b02, 
org.classes.database.Employee@13bce7e, 
org.classes.database.Employee@171cc79, 
org.classes.database.Employee@272a02, 
org.classes.database.Employee@137105d, 
org.classes.database.Employee@1359ad]

I thought that maybe I was missing something on jstl but I have jstl-1.2 in my META-INF/lib folder. I have also tried to add it in the configure path file and still nothing. I also have the correct tag url.
Also when I do a simple <c:out value="Hello"/>. Hello does print out. So this leads me to believe that my jstl is working properly, but when I try iterating through my list using jstl nothing shows up at all.

Anyways here is my JSP page:

<%@ page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" pageEncoding="ISO-   8859-1"%>
<%@taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jsp/jstl/core" %>
<%@ page import="java.util.List"%>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<% List eList = (List)session.getAttribute("empList");%>

<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<title>Employee Details</title>
</head>
<body>
<c:out value="Hello"></c:out>
<h3>Employee Details</h3>
<hr size="4" color="gray"/>
<table>
<%=eList%>
    <c:forEach items="${eList}" var="employee">
        <tr>
            <td>Employee ID: <c:out value="${employee.eid}"/></td>
            <td>Employee Pass: <c:out value="${employee.ename}"/></td>  
        </tr>
    </c:forEach>
</table>
</body>
</html>

Any help would be highly appreciated!

5 Answers
Related