Efficiently eliminate common sub-expressions in .NET Expression Tree

Viewed 1616

I've written a DSL and a compiler that generates a .NET expression tree from it. All expressions within the tree are side-effect-free and the expression is guaranteed to be a "non-statement" expression (no locals, loops, blocks etc.). (Edit: The tree may include literals, property accesses, standard operators and function calls - which may be doing fancy things like memoization inside, but are externally side-effect free).

Now I would like to perform the "Common sub-expression elimination" optimization on it.

For example, given a tree corresponding to the C# lambda:

foo =>      (foo.Bar * 5 + foo.Baz * 2 > 7) 
         || (foo.Bar * 5 + foo.Baz * 2 < 3)  
         || (foo.Bar * 5 + 3 == foo.Xyz)

...I would like to generate the tree-equivalent of (ignore the fact that some of the short-circuiting semantics are being ignored):

foo =>
{
     var local1 = foo.Bar * 5;

     // Notice that this local depends on the first one.        
     var local2 = local1 + foo.Baz * 2; 

     // Notice that no unnecessary locals have been generated.
     return local2 > 7 || local2 < 3 || (local1 + 3 == foo.Xyz);
}

I'm familiar with writing expression-visitors, but the algorithm for this optimization isn't immediately obvious to me - I could of course find "duplicates" within a tree, but there's obviously some trick to analyzing the dependencies within and between sub-trees to eliminate sub-expressions efficiently and correctly.

I looked for algorithms on Google but they seem quite complicated to implement quickly. Also, they seem very "general" and don't necessarily take the simplicity of the trees I have into account.

5 Answers
Related