I've read quite a few articles regarding the differences between REST and SOAP. I will just summarize in a few lines, please let me know if its wrong.
SOAP is a protocol which uses HTTP, TCP etc to transfer the messages but REST uses only HTTP to transfer messages.
SOAP transfers the messages in XML format only but REST uses JSON or XML.
REST doesn't involve the same traffic overhead as SOAP (as SOAP involves the complex XML WSDL generation).
I've read that WCF was developed to provide interoperability. I have developed REST services in .net and the client was a mobile device (not a .net client). This one I have tested and gone live as well.
Having said that, my question is ...
Has anyone developed basichttpbinding WCF service and provided this to a non .net client like Java, mobile devices etc to make it interoperable? Is it possible for non .net clients to consume WCF other than REST?