HLS(HttpLiveStreaming) vs RTP(Real-time Transport Protocol) on UDP for mobile P2P?

Viewed 12234

I'm testing Audio/Video P2P connection between mobile devices.

Studying WebRTC, I've noticed NAT traversal(uses STUN server) and UDP-hole-punching is the key to make P2P possible.

On the other hand, I've noticed HLS(HttpLiveStreaming) on iOS devices is very optimized for A/V live streaming, and widely available even with Android4.x(3.x unstable)

So, here is my question if I use HLS for mobile P2P:

a) HLS is a protocol on TCP(HTTP) not UDP, so isn't there a performance drawback?

See: TCP vs UDP on video stream

b) How about NAT traversal? Will it be easier since HLS is HTTP(port:80)? I have read wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Live_Streaming

Since its requests use only standard HTTP transactions, HTTP Live Streaming is capable of traversing any firewall or proxy server that lets through standard HTTP traffic, unlike UDP-based protocols such as RTP. This also allows content to be delivered over widely available CDNs.

c) How about android device compatibility? Is there a lot of problems to invoke StreamingLive distribution?

Thanks.

4 Answers
Related