OCaml: Can't run utop after installing it

Viewed 10130

I'm trying to learn OCaml through the Real World OCaml book. They have a guide by which I am supposed to install the Core package and utop. However, while I seem to be successfully installing both of these using Opam, neither of them works when I try to use them.

I know that they're installed, because when I try to install them again, I get this message:

$ opam install utop core
[NOTE] Package utop is already installed (current version is 1.10).
[NOTE] Package core is already installed (current version is 109.55.02).

However, when I try to enter "utop" to start utop, it doesn't work.

$ utop
bash: utop: command not found

Same when I try to open core:

$ open Core.Std
Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to the console

What's going on here? I'm new to programming so there might be something about installation that I'm just not understanding.

4 Answers
Related