TrueType Font's glyph are made of quadratic Bezier. Why do more than one consecutive off-curve points appear in glyph outline?

Viewed 6495

I'm writing a TTF parser. For a better understanding of the TTF format, I used TTX to extract the ".notdef" glyph data of C:\Windows\calibri.ttf as follow.

<TTGlyph name=".notdef" xMin="0" yMin="-397" xMax="978" yMax="1294">
      <contour>
        <pt x="978" y="1294" on="1"/>
        <pt x="978" y="0" on="1"/>
        <pt x="44" y="0" on="1"/>
        <pt x="44" y="1294" on="1"/>
      </contour>
      <contour>
        <pt x="891" y="81" on="1"/>
        <pt x="891" y="1213" on="1"/>
        <pt x="129" y="1213" on="1"/>
        <pt x="129" y="81" on="1"/>
      </contour>
      <contour>
        <pt x="767" y="855" on="1"/>
        <pt x="767" y="796" on="0"/>
        <pt x="732" y="704" on="0"/>
        <pt x="669" y="641" on="0"/>
        <pt x="583" y="605" on="0"/>
        <pt x="532" y="602" on="1"/>
        <pt x="527" y="450" on="1"/>
        many more points
     </contour>
     ...some other xml
</TTGlyph>

You can see more than one off-curve control points in a row. But I've learned that TrueType Font are made of Quadratic Beziers, each of which has two on-curve points (end points) and only one off-curve point (control point). How to interpret these consecutive off-curve points?

1 Answers
Related