POST data to Python CGI script via jQuery AJAX

Viewed 23304

I'm trying to setup a simple script where some data is sent using the jQuery .ajax function to a Python CGI script. The Python script would just make the data posted to it uppercase, and then return that data to the HTML file, where a div would be updated with the content.

I have the code shown below. When I run it, the AJAX call executes, but the div is not updated with the content. the div is not updated with the data being sent.

How would I modify this code so that it updates with the data being sent?

I appreciate any help at all.

My HTML Code:

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8">
    <title>Python-jQuery Example</title>
    <script src="http://code.jquery.com/jquery-2.0.3.js"></script>
    <script>
        $(function()
        {
            $.ajax({
                url: "http://localhost/cgi-bin/post.py",
                type: "post",
                datatype: "html",
                data: "here is data",
                success: function(response){
                        $("#div").html(response);
                        console.log("There is a response"); 
                }
            });
        });

    </script>
</head>
<body>
    <div id="div">Default Stuff</div>
</body>

My Python Code:

#!/usr/bin/python

import cgi, cgitb 
cgitb.enable() 

data = cgi.FieldStorage()

print "Content-Type: text/html"
print data

EDIT: I have updated my code to what is currently shown, and now the document updates with this string:

FieldStorage(None, None, []) 

How would I modify my code so that the div updates with the data being sent?

3 Answers
Related